Thursday, February 2, 2012

Adelaide




The start of Rundle Mall


Adelaide's Central Market







Bargain Bananas 




Adelaide was a surprising little gem during our trip.  We had two nights here, one before our Kangaroo Island trip and one after.  Personally, I wish we had at least two or three more days here.  I was pretty impressed with the city and everything they had to offer.  There were a lot of side trips that one could do, but we didn't have time.  There seemed to be quite a few places to interact with koalas which was my favorite part of this whole trip.

The one thing that I absolutely love is shopping.  Adelaide had fabulous shopping!  However, the fact that stores close early really caused me a bit of a heartache because I had to squeeze in as many stores as possible in about two hours.  I managed to find the cutest stuffed koala and some wood Christmas ornaments at the Australian Geographic (I think that is what it was called) store.  Otherwise, I didn't do too much damage here which was a shame.

One of our favorite things to do in every city we visit is to visit a local market or two.  Some cities don't have markets or only have them on weekends and we miss them, but we were lucky enough to get to Central Market on one of the days that it was open.  This is a fabulous market and we were surprised that most of the prices were quite reasonable except for the bananas perhaps.  There weren't a lot of prepared foods to buy and sample, but we did get a few things including one of the chocolate crackles pictured above, some bread, and I think my husband had something else.  There were some small cafes inside, but we didn't get a chance to try any as we had to get back to the hotel to get to the airport.  However, we were very pleased with this market and its offerings.  It is definitely worth a trip if you are in town.


No comments:

Post a Comment