Monday, January 30, 2012

Kata Tjuta - Valley of the Winds












We originally signed up to do the Kata Tjuta Valley of the Winds walk and sunset viewing.  Well, the walk is supposed to be 3 hours long and our tour guide decided to do a small detour before we started the walk, so, we only had 1 1/2 hours before we had to get to the sunset viewing point.  Because of the time constraint, they gave us the option to do the Valley of the Winds walk the rest of the way or to go do a shorter less strenuous walk. We took the second option.  About half of our group finished most of the Valley of the Winds walk and many regretted it.  Because they were so short on time, it was very rushed which made it even more strenuous.  I think even the most fit of those in the group really struggled because of the pace, climbs, etc... Since we had been up before 5 AM for our sunrise tour, I was glad we opted for the shorter walk as we were really dragging at this point.

They always tell you to take a liter or two of water with you because of the dry air.  We needed that again and more despite the fact that it was winter.  Again, I could not imagine doing this tour or any of the others in summer because of the flies.  I felt especially sorry for our tour guide that night when he said that they aren't allowed to wear the fly nets when they lead groups in the summer.

The sunset viewing here was nice.  It was very casual as they had little stools you could sit on if you wanted and put out a folding table with some snacks and champagne.  Since I hadn't had anything to eat since about 10 am, the two little glasses of champagne did me in.  I fell asleep on the bus ride back to the hotel and woke up as the people on the bus were doing funny hand motions.  I had no clue what was happening, but I later found out from my husband that the bus driver was teaching everyone the little "dance" to Home Among the Gumtrees by John Williamson.   Let me tell you, it was a site to behold especially since I didn't know what was going on or where I really was at first.  It will be a memory that will stick with me and was a good way to end our visit to Uluru.

No comments:

Post a Comment