Wednesday, September 26, 2012

The Doughnut Vault - Chicago, IL

The Doughnut Vault - selection of the donut of the day (powdered), chocolate, glazed, old fashioned glazed and jelly (raspberry) 
Powder Sugar Donut 

Glazed- Bigger than my hand!

Glazed- Not only big around, but tall and fluffy too.

Glazed up close

Chocolate Glazed up close

Another donut bigger than my hand.

A friend of mine had been in Chicago a few months back and told me how her and her husband stood in line for well over an hour on a Saturday hoping to try one of these beauties.  Unfortunately for them, they sold out of all donuts before they got to the front of the line.  Fortunately for me, we were in Chicago mid-week and I showed up about 20 minutes before opening to find that I was the first one in line.

The donut of the day was the powdered sugar one.  I had no idea that meant you received three powdered sugar donuts!  These were actually probably my favorite along with the old fashioned glaze. They had a good flavor and although they weren't light and fluffy, the density of the donut combined well with the light sugar.

I wasn't a huge fan of the original glazed although it was huge and you could clearly see the vanilla in the glaze.  The donut itself wasn't as airy as I had hoped and had a stronger flavor than most donuts I've had in the past.  The jelly filled was almost the same with some raspberry jelly or jam in the Center.  The jelly actually provided a nice contrast to the flavor of the donut and I'm not generally a fan of any pastries or anything that are fruit filled.

The chocolate glazed was as big as the original glazed as you can tell.  The glaze was yummy and had a good chocolate flavor.  The donut itself was the same as the original glazed and had that same strong taste that I didn't care for as much.  Perhaps it was yeast?

The old fashioned glazed was fabulous! It was dense and moist.  The glaze was the perfect contrast to the flavor of the donut itself.  I wish I had purchased more than one of these as it was gone as quickly as the box was open in the hotel room.

No comments:

Post a Comment